One of the inter-active features of the visitor attraction
An Post’s €7 million GPO Witness History visitor attraction commemorates the events of 1916. The attraction is an interactive visitor facility bringing history to life though technology, video, sound and authentic artefacts.
The centrepiece of the visitor attraction is an immersive semi-circular audiovisual space which puts visitors right inside the GPO during the five days in which it was both the military command centre, and the seat of the Provisional Irish Government.
Features of the attractions include:
The Rising Immersive Audiovisual Space
- An immersive semicircular audiovisual space puts visitors right inside the GPO during the Rising
- Digital recreation of Dublin as it was in 1916: Immersive street level experience and ‘God’s Eye’ strategic overview of events
- Feel the full terror of the devastating British artillery bombardment Family Orientated Educational Activities
- Hands-on activity area
- Dressed set of the GPO
- Print proclamations and bulletins
- Learn morse code
- Send messages across a barricaded street via a pulley
- Sort letters and monitor phonecalls
- Compose newspaper reports
A Contested Legacy
- Chart the problematic relationship between the two sides of the divide in the 100 years hence.
- Selection of the art music and literature inspired by, or created in reaction to, the 1916 Rising.
- Touch screen allows visitors to debate the relevance of the ideals of the 1916 Proclamation.
- Visitors encouraged to reflect on their own vision for the next hundred years of the Irish Republic.
Advance tickets booking system
In preparation for the €7 million Centre’s opening in March, a booking system enabling people to book advance tickets is at www.gpowitnesshistory.ie
The booking system allows visitors to secure their tickets well in advance, affording Irish and international tourists alike the opportunity to schedule this immersive and entertaining cultural experience amongst the wide range of delights that Dublin has to offer visitors of all ages and interests.
www.gpowitnesshistory.ie provides details on the visitor centre – one of the Government’s key 2016 commemoration projects – the exhibits, an outline of the role the GPO had to play in the 1916 Rising as well as a broader history of the GPO itself.